The Hero




Mobile Photography. It's been around for quite some time now. Ever since they started slapping decent cameras into mobile phones, people just started using them. Arguably, it became mainstream with the introduction of the iPhone and the emergence of social media. For me however, it all started with my first ever smartphone, an HTC Hero. Yes, an Android (never was an iPhone fan). 



I was already into taking pictures before smartphones. The first camera I ever bought was a Sony H7. Then I bought my first DSLR in Japan, a Canon Rebel XTi. Having already 2 cameras, I never bought the Hero with photography in mind. It was just a cool phone that can do cool stuff. I never intended to shoot with it regularly. But then I discovered mobile photography, and it just made sense.



5 megapixels. That's all there is to work with. It was a lot at that time... for a phone. But what can I say? The camera on this thing had character. I've gone through 2 other smart phones since then, but nothing still compares to the pictures from the Hero. Don't get me wrong, the new phones produce higher quality images, specs-wise. But, again, none of them produced the same character in pictures as the HTC Hero.



Mobile photography has evolved so much since then. More and more people are getting into it, even becoming a part of the daily routine. It has hit another all-time high with the popularity of instagram. Cameras on phones are getting more and more at par with dedicated shooters. Heck, some phones are even more camera than phone. It has taken photography into a whole other space, one where previous cameras were unable to go. It has produced photographs that are more personal, fast-paced, and social. In some ways, it has taken photography into the future and has made it accessible to a whole lot more people.







Comments

Popular Posts